ICJ is seeking to replenish the roster of suitable candidates to temporarily serve as Editorial and Publishing Assistants in the Publishing Division during public sittings of the Court and/or peak periods.
About Registry of International Court of Justice
The Registry is the permanent administrative secretariat of the Court. It is accountable to the Court alone. It is headed by a Registrar, assisted by a Deputy-Registrar.
Since the Court is both a court of justice and an international organization, the Registry’s tasks are not only those of a service helping in the administration of justice – with sovereign States as litigants – but also those of an international secretariat. Its activities are both judicial and diplomatic, as well as administrative.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Format, proofread, and compile, sometimes under considerable time constraints, Registry documents and written pleadings (to varying degrees of complexity and confidentiality), using Microsoft Word and other software packages such as Adobe Acrobat Professional, in accordance with the Registry’s editorial guidelines.
- Perform proofreading functions, ensuring that changes have been incorporated as marked in the draft copy and alerting the responsible authority if obvious errors or discrepancies are found in a text; accurately insert corrections made by translators and revisers to Registry documents; insert elements such as maps, illustrations, and tables of contents; check pagination, footnotes, and cross-references.
- Accurately transcribe verbatim records of Court hearings, within a strict time frame, via DAR (Digital Audio Recording); assemble, format, and proofread the transcripts of verbatim records and their translations.
- Prepare and assemble final PDF files for distribution and archiving in SharePoint.
- Perform other related work as required.
Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefits package is offered.
- Completion of secondary education;
- specialist training in proofreading or related field,
- accredited as appropriate by a diploma or a certificate, would be an asset;
- A minimum of three years of experience in text processing, including copy editing, proofreading, typographical layout, or related area.
- An advanced or first-level university degree may be accepted in lieu of some of the professional experience.
- Relevant work experience in a judicial environment is desirable. Experience within an international organization or international company would be a definite asset.
- Languages Perfect command of English and working knowledge of French.
The assessment of qualified candidates will be made remotely and will include a written test and, possibly, an interview.
How to Apply?
Click on the link below to apply.
The Hague, Netherlands.